Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Need For Disability Insurance

It boggles my mind how many people do not own disability insurance. They own life insurance, but DI never crosses their mind. Don't they know that they are about 7 times more likely to become disabled before reaching age 65 than they are to die? Probably not, and it is our fault. We don't tell them!

Independent brokers and captive agents alike, always lead with life insurance. When I bought my home 5 years ago, even my P&C agent asked me if I had enough life insurance. Generally, when disability insurance is brought up, it is either an afterthought or something the client requests. I even had a broker call me one time and said that his client would not buy life insurance from him until he sold the man disability insurance. The broker was actually upset that he had to sell him DI first. Unreal!

Income is the fuel of the financial engine. Nothing happens without it. No money for home and car payments, living expenses, or college savings; and certainly no money to give you for retirement plans or insurance premiums. How will their disability impact you? All of their financial plans crumble and you loose a client.

Do you and your clients a favor and make covering their income in the event of disability a priority.